You will be left behind if you will not keep yourself in tune with latest technology and advancements. Responsive design is the need of the hour and creating a well-designed mobile-friendly website can be a daunting task. The world is changing fast with the people depending heavily on smartphones and tablets for visiting your site. Before designing you need to have a clear vision and planning about what you are expecting from your responsive website. Here are some of the tips which will make your task easier and comforting as far as creating a responsive site is concerned.
1. Planning is required: Proper planning is required for anything and designing a responsive website also calls for a well chalk out plan. Before going for a mobile-friendly site, you should note everything what you are expecting from your website and start working on it.
2. Use a Prototyping Software: Use a proper prototyping software like Adobe Edge Reflow which will enable you to use media queries, design your layout to fit all devices and set breakpoints within the program. Further editing can be done by copying CSS to other HTML to refine your design.
3. Go for Mobile Design First: You should always consider creating a design for the mobile first and then move further to tablet and desktop. If you do not find any problem regarding the text, images and design on the mobile there are less chances that you will have issues on other devices.
4. Navigation is Important: Be careful about the navigation you are using on your website. If you are using more navigational menus, you should consider creating a single icon that opens a drop down menu for additional menu items. Going for more navigational menus will lead to poor design.
5. Create Layout & Interface initially: Try building up the entire layout and interface first before going for coding part. Make the buttons big enough for fingertip and keep the design simple and functional. Do not over-stuff your website with more items and functions.
6. Go for the software which suits You: Choose your template according to the coding you are using for your website. For a simple responsive design you can go for wordpress while if you want to go a more complex design GoMobi will be fit for you.
7. Image Format: Since you are designing your website to be visited on a comparatively smaller screen, you should be careful while choosing the size of your images. Go for optimized images for each layout by using JPEG, GIF and PNG-8 file formats. Avoid using PNG file format.
8. Get the perfect Image Measurements: Use precise and exact image dimensions for all your images to fit your screen sizes. Make sure that the dimension used does not scale down your image and preserves the resolution and quality of the images.
9. Use Parallax Scrolling for a better design: Go for parallax scrolling and design a responsive website for your business. There are several tutorials present on the internet which can help you using this technique well. Go for proper utilization of this tool and create a mobile-friendly site for your business.
10. Go for the latest Updates: Go for regular updates and upgradation in order to stay in tune with the latest technology. Always include instructions so that the user who is coming after you can benefit from your experience and expertise. Make sure you leave enough inputs for them to update your site.
11. Make it less Wordy for mobile: Do not go for exact replica of your desktop design when you are designing your responsive design. Keep the most important things only without going for long scrolling pages which can be a factor for losing your viewers.
12. Google can help you out: You can take help from the google itself while designing your responsive website. There are various tutorials published by google stating many factors which should be considered while designing a mobile-friendly website.
13. Proper Code Snippets and Templates: Proper use of API is very important for your mobile website. Always check the performance of various code snippets and the template which you are using. These components might be the reason for slower performance of your website.
14. Ride on already built Framework: You can use already existing themes like Thesis or Genesis and can create your custom child themes. This will save your time as you do not have to start building your website from a scratch.
15. Clean Design can attract more Viewers: Nothing allures your viewers more than a clean and simple design which is fully functional and professional. Get rid of all extra items which will make your website both slow and less attractive. Keep only essential items to improve page loading time.